4.19.2012

Counting my Blessings Again & Again . . .


Yesterday I spent the day with a friend who is going thru a terrible emotional time right now. I recognized the look in her eyes as soon as I saw her. It was the same one I saw in the eyes of myself and my sisters after we found out my father was going to die. It is a look of total devastation and defeat. All I could do was hug her and listen to her as she spoke of this sudden "loss" in her life. My heart cried for her. This beautiful woman that I've come to know these last few years was suddenly transformed into a little girl who so badly wanted me to stay with her and tell her everything was going to be okay. "One Day at a Time" is what I told her. Even one hour at a time at this point. That is how I dealt with my husband's stroke and then sudden death the year before my father's death. I found myself referring back to that time in my life repeatedly yesterday when my friend asked how she can go on when it feels like her whole world has been turned upside down. When you're on the outside looking in, you recognize the beauty that still shines thru the sadness. How we are all just human beings put on this earth to help one another and to share good times and bad. The letting go of ego. The realization of just how miniscule so many of our day to day "problems" are. As my friend said, it is amazing how easily and guilt-free you can drop everything else when you feel like your world is crumbling around you.

I will see my friend again later on today. I hope to see a glimmer of hope and light in her eyes. Until then, I am counting my blessings and thanking God for how far I've come and how much my life has changed for the better since my losses occurred. One day at a time.


Many blessings for a happy and peaceful Thursday ~ Wendy

1 comment:

Gina said...

It is so hard to watch friends and people we love go through struggles in their lives. I bet you are a lifeline to your friend right now.