11.02.2013

Visiting the 9/11 Memorial . . .

 The last month has been such a whirlwind of activity around here.  I've really been neglecting my blogging (AND my housework, AND my laundry!!) and want to make it a point to get back into it.  Photos have been backing up on my camera and I wanted to share some. 

The Freedom Tower in Manhattan.

The names of the victims of 9/11.

 A couple of weeks ago, we took a trip into Manhattan for the day.  My mother and father-in-law were here  from Tennessee for the week.  We visited the 9/11 Memorial for the first time since it has opened.  Needless to say, a very emotional yet beautiful and peaceful place to be.  This was the first time I have been to the area where the towers used to stand since 9/11 and I have to say that as soon as you come up from the subway you can feel a complete shift in energy from the rest of the city.  If you've ever been to Manhattan, or any of the boroughs for that matter, it's all about hustle and bustle.  People coming and going at a very rapid pace.  That's just how New Yorkers roll, I guess.  But Ground Zero is different.  Peaceful for the most part. 

9/11 Memorial.


A reflection on the side of a building at Ground Zero.

 Brendan reading names of some of the victims.  This was so beautifully done.  The names are carved in so deeply.  Absolutely beautiful.
Our friend, Welles Remy Crowther, was one of the victims of 9/11.  He died a true hero.  You can learn about him here .

My wonderful mother and father-in-law.


After visiting the memorial, we went to the world famous Katz' Delicatessen for lunch.  If you've never been to Katz' and you love pastrami on rye, you must add it to your list of places to visit while in NYC!!!!  TO DIE FOR!!!!!!! We are all now officially ruined for all other pastrami sandwiches!!  : )

Have a wonderful weekend!!  We're turning our clocks back one hour tonight.  Usually I love to do this but this year I'm kind of going to miss the light.  I was looking out my front door this morning.  There is an over abundance of color right now.  The brilliantly blue autumn sky, the reds, yellows and oranges of autumn foliage and the still green grass all look so beautiful.  It's so hard to believe that in just a few short weeks it will be gone.  I'm definitely feeling that nesting feeling that I so love so I guess I'll just grin and bear the shorter days.  : )


Many blessings ~ Wendy


2 comments:

Gina said...

I'd imagine it would be a very emotional place to spend some time. Even though I've never been to America the day of the twin towers is etched deep in my mind. I remember visiting a friend for a play date and watching in horror as the events unfolded and saw the plane approach the second tower. All while little ones played oblivious in the background. I'm sorry to hear that one of your friends lost his life there. It must make the emotion more intense. Thanks for blogging about this. It's so important we don't forget.

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

Thank you, Gina. We live 20 miles north of Manhattan and knew several people that perished that day. I have a photo of my uncle, who was a firefighter in New York City for more than 30 years, standing on top of the pile of rubble the day after the towers fell. He passed away three years ago due to health-related issues stemming from 9/11. There are many people who have passed away as a result of health issues from this tragedy. So very sad that this still continues to effect us all these years later. : (