3.05.2017

A Sunday Saying that Changed my Life . . .

Note to self: “What is my purpose in life?” I asked the void. “What if I told you that you fulfilled it when you took an extra hour to talk to that kid about his life?” Said the voice. “Or when you paid for that young couple in that restaurant? Or when you saved that dog in traffic? Or when you tied your father’s shoes for him? Your problem is that you equate purpose with goal-based achievement. God or the universe or morality isn’t interested in your achievements…just your heart. When you choose to act out of kindness, compassion, and love, you are already aligned with your true purpose. No need to look any further.”
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

A friend of mine posted this on Instagram the other day.  At first, I just glanced thru it.  I saw the words "purpose" and "no need to look any further" and was drawn to it.  After reading it once, I slowed down and read it again but this time with the intention of really reading it.  The second time, it brought tears to my eyes and a knot in my stomach.  But a good knot.  What I would call a "knowing" knot.  You know that feeling you get when you know you've just added another puzzle piece to your puzzle of life?  I felt it when I fell in love with my first husband and then again when I fell in love with my second husband (knowing full well that my first husband had sent him to me).  I also felt it four times in the last 24 years when I gave birth to each one of my children.  So now that the youngest one is almost seven and becoming more independent every day, and now that I've turned a half century young I've been trying to come up with some goals.  I've been trying to come up with what my "life purpose" will be from here going forward.  I guess a bucket list of sorts.  Except that I am more of a "go with the flow" kinda gal.  I'm not a goal oriented person.  I'm not a person who feels like I have to be busy 24/7 like so many people I know.  And, guess what???  THAT'S OKAY!!!  Our society is one that says if you're not busy moving , shaking, being or doing then there has to be something wrong with you.  I have a different take on this though.  I think that many people that have to be busy all the time are afraid to be alone in their own thoughts.  They're afraid that they might discover a flaw in their personality and might have to actually (GULP) face their own reality.  The thing that I've been working on is being in the moment.  While I'm sitting here at the computer, I don't want to be contemplating what I'm making for dinner.  If I'm working in my Etsy shops I don't want to be thinking I should be loading the dishwasher instead.  Why do I think I'm not enough just the way I am??  It's conditioning.  It's the way we're brought up.  It's the way we're bombarded with advertisements telling us to be like this and look like that or you're not good enough. 

"God or the universe or morality isn’t interested in your achievements…just your heart. When you choose to act out of kindness, compassion, and love, you are already aligned with your true purpose. No need to look any further.”

I think every town should have this quote up on a huge billboard in their town center.

No need to look any further.


Have a beautiful week ahead!!  ~ Wendy


2 comments:

Beside a babbling brook... said...

May I say my view of life's purpose? If you do not care for this comment though, feel free to not publish it. It is your blog!!!!! Really.

“Life has no meaning. Each of us has meaning and we bring it to life. It is a waste to be asking the question when you are the answer.”

~Joseph Campbell

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

Thank you for this, Luna Crone. It definitely makes sense to me. xo

~ Wendy