3.22.2017

Finding My Passion . . .

My Mum definitely believes in this, as she goes on, babbling about Pinterest to #all of her friends. I <3 U MUM though you are #pinterested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM3yZj332Tk:







Eight or nine years ago my husband surprised me with a Nikon D40 digital camera.  I was definitely a little intimidated by it and I am also a creature of habit.  I hate to admit it but that camera sat unopened for a long time while I still used my little Kodak Easy Share.  Remember those? 




Fast forward to summer vacation at the Jersey shore.  My husband, unbeknownst to me, has brought along my new camera and is taking lots of beautiful photos with it.  I, of course, take it from him and, after a quick lesson on how to use it, begin to see the world in a whole new way.  That was the day I discovered my passion for photography.  And it didn't take long to discover that my true passion is in the genre of outdoor and nature photography.






I am a homebody by nature.  I think one of the reasons why I love winter so much is because I get to hibernate without feeling guilty about not wanting to go out.  Now though, if I go for an extended period of time without using my camera, I honestly feel like something is missing in my life.  One good car ride around town with my camera  (especially since we moved to a new town and I have all new surroundings)  and I feel balanced again. 





I just signed up for a two day class with a professional photographer and I have to tell you that I'm really looking forward to it.  There are settings on my camera that I know nothing about and I want to learn.  I'm ready to step out of my comfort zone and stop being a creature of habit.



It took me about 28 years to figure out what sets my soul on fire...after a bachelor's degree, student loans, two full-time jobs.  But I figured it out. Helping women find their strength - in themselves, in their bodies, in their businesses & dreams. I've never felt more fulfilled than when I'm working my Strong Girl business ❤️ What sets YOUR soul on fire?! COMMENT BELOW!:

What sets your soul on fire?  I'd love to hear your stories of finding your passion!!  xo


~ Wendy


12 comments:

Winters End Rambler said...

Very lovely photos...I too have a really smart piece of camera equipment, but have become very lazy and just use my iPhone. Tut tut! x

Sheila said...

Your photographs are so wonderful.
I can almost smell the air and feel the cold in your winter pics.

My passion is fabric. It makes me so happy and means I can make comforting things like quilts for my lovely family-x-

sage and spirit said...

I have to say.....your photos are gorgeous! This is where I come to get my fix of winter weather!
And like you, I rarely go anywhere without my camera. I am looking forward to what you think of your photography class!
Have fun!
xx

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

I know a lot of people who use their phone for photos all the time. Some phones take such beautiful photos! xo

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

Thank you so much Sheila! I'm ready for spring photos now. 😀 I was in Hobby Lobby yesterday. It's a fantastic chain store here in the states. They have such beautiful fabric. Really made me wish I knew how to sew. 😀 xo

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

Thank you so much Julie! And I'm truly inspired by your photography!! I'll let you know how the classes go. ☺💜💜

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Or.... As Joseph Campbell said; "Follow your bliss"

How wonderful, that your husband realized your (possible) passion, before you did. And got you that lovely camera.

And cool of him, to bring it along, and thus.... Set you off on your passion.

Great that you will take a couple of classes. I think many of us, don't want to read the instructions. -smile- These classes will open a whole new world to you. :-)

As if I am speaking from experience! NOT! I am a don't read the instructions person. I don't know how to do many things, even with my not so fancy camera.

Yeaaaaaaaa for you!!!!!!!! Keep going, with this passion!!!!!!

Luna Crone

Elaine said...

I must confess to relying on the 'intelligent' settings on my cameras. I could do better and should do better. Your post is very inspiring. I hope you really enjoy that course and get the maximum out of it.

My passion? Books, old books, new books, and most of all, my handwritten recipe books.

Jules said...

Your photographs are beautiful. I never used to take many but find that since I started blogging I make more of an effort. For now I tend to just use my phone but, who knows, I may branch out into some proper equipment before too long. My passion (when I get time) is walking. I am blessed with some beautiful walks in my local area. X

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

Beautiful photos, I can understand your passion for taking them. How exciting to have a chance to learn from an expert xx

September Violets said...

Even without the lessons yet, you have taken some beautiful shots. Having an eye for the shot before you take it is wonderful. I've been taking photos for so many years, I just see the shot and try and capture that with the camera. Have fun in your lessons!
Wendy

thelma said...

As everyone says lovely photos you capture the spirit of outdoors so well.