3.30.2008

"Make New Friends But Keep the Old . . .

One is silver and the other gold." I remember learning that song in brownies many moons ago. It's very appropriate for the day I had today. By the way, the time at the bottom of my blog posts is totally off and I don't know how to change it. I thought I'd mention that since it might look like it's early in the morning and I'm making this whole thing up. : )

My friend, Kim, and I took a road trip to Dobbs Ferry this morning. She has a wonderful friend named Rob who has a pottery studio. From the time you pull up to this large, old building right near the water you can feel the peaceful energy all around you. There is an adorable pond with the tiniest waterfall you ever saw feeding into it. It's home to a pair of ducks who have found the perfect place to live!! Rob was waiting for us in the doorway puffing away on a pipe and donning scrubs. He had been working with dark brown clay earlier and looked like he had just come out of a botched surgery with all of the clay stains on his scrub shirt. I knew immediately that I was going to like him. We introduced ourselves and went inside this huge warehouse filled with all sorts of pottery pieces in different stages of life. Bowls, tea sets, vases, ceramic mice, ceramic faces, and on and on and on. Classes for children are held there so there were lots of happy little pieces that you could tell were made by a child's hands. They were all wonderful!! Kim made a beautiful vase. I was so impressed with her intuitive way of working with the clay. It was only the second time she had ever thrown and she was brilliant at it. Way to go Kimmy Words!! I didn't throw this time but will in the future. I was very happy just to sit and watch and take it all in. In between lessons, Rob enlightened us with many jokes and impressions. He had us in stitches!! It was an absolutely wonderful experience and I look forward to our next meeting at the pottery studio. Who knows . . . maybe there will be some new duck babies to greet us!! I told Rob that I'd be happy to put some of his pottery pieces in my etsy shop. He does incredible work!! Thanks for a very special day Rob and Kim!!

Make new friends but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold . . .

Many blessings ~ Wendy

1 comment:

Kim Fernino said...

The duck pond, the beautiful old building on the banks of the Hudson River, the trains passing by every half hour... A beautiful place indeed. But the souls that inhabit that space - the people that all came together for the first meeting augmented the scenic beauty. Thank you for allowing me to be the conduit for that meeting.