6.14.2008

Happy Father's Day . . .


It's official. We're pool owners. FINALLY, after waiting since Wednesday for the "pool bastards" (as I affectionately refer to them) to come back and finish what they started, they returned this morning. I do not recommend West Rock Pools of Nanuet. They blow lots of smoke you know where and took four days longer than they told us it would take. They're all sweet and full of smiles when you're purchasing from them but it's all down hill from there. Oh well ~ you live and you learn. I made my father in law promise that he wouldn't say "I told you so" . . .

I started this blog entry yesterday (Saturday) and I'm picking it up again today which is Father's Day. Today is a tough day for people who have lost their dad or who know that this will be the last Father's Day with their dad. My boys' father passed away three and a half years ago. Hard to believe it's been that long ago yet it seems like a whole other lifetime ago. My own father passed away a year later. I wished them both a Happy Father's Day this morning. I also wished my stepfather the same. He gets to share it with his son as they've both passed. This is kind of a special Father's Day in our house as Jim is celebrating his first year as an "official dad." The boys couldn't have asked for a more wonderful new dad in their life. Connor and Jim get along very well. He calls Jim "Jimbo." He respects Jim a lot and they are buddies but there is a parental line there and Connor understands that. The relationship works very well. Trevor adores Jim. They sit on the couch and watch tv and just like to spend time together. Jim helped out a lot with Trev's baseball team this year. During a game, one of Trev's teammates hit a line drive foul ball at the base where Jim was coaching and it almost hit him. From the dugout you heard Trev say, "Yo, that's my dad you almost hit." Jim heard it and couldn't wait to tell me after the game. As for Brendan . . . well he and Jim are inseparable. Brendan craved having a father figure in his life. He cried for John for a long time after he passed. When we would go to basketball games at St. Paul's for the two older boys he would go up to all the dads that would walk thru the door and hug their legs and look up at them. He was only two when his dad died. I get tears in my eyes just typing this. John was supposed to bring him to this earth and Jim was supposed to be his dad. I truly believe that things happen for a reason, as difficult as it may be to believe sometimes.

So God bless all of the fathers on this day. Future fathers, stepfathers, living fathers, deceased fathers, first time fathers, sick fathers, father figures and any other fathers that I may have left out, although I think that pretty much covers it. There are religious fathers but that would be a WHOLE OTHER blog altogether and I don't want to create any controversy on this special day!!

For those of you who want a Stephanie update, I'll post one tomorrow. Coffee is calling my name right now!!

Many blessings ~ Wendy

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Coffee calling you, NEVER! LOL

Anonymous said...

GREAT BLOG Wendy. I know exactly how you feel and what your talking about, having been there myself. You brought tears to my eyes. For me & Jeff, It has been over 16 years! Can you believe it? The time goes so fast. Love you! Tammy