6.06.2015

Spook Hollow Pond . . .






About a mile from where I grew up, there is the sweetest little pond called Spook Hollow.  As kids, we would visit there as often as we could during the cold winter months.  This is where my dad taught my sister and I how to ice skate.  This is where I learned to hold on real tight to the last person on the chain of friends while doing "whippits" until I couldn't hold on anymore.





This is where oversized goldfish live since many generations before them were dumped into the pond by neighborhood kids who thought it would be fun to let them go.




This is where I would get lost in thought while skating on the crystal clear ice of the far end of the pond where you had to dodge low hanging limbs and plants.  This is now where my daughter stands with her friend Cybele (who happens to live next to the pond in a little development that was nothing but swamp land and a dirt road back in the day),  trying to catch a glimpse of the elusive gigantic snapping turtle that's lived there since I was a kid.  Now that's one old turtle!!  : )



 And the torch is passed. : )


Many blessings for a beautiful weekend ~ Wendy


3 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

How wonderful to pass on your cherished childhood memories to the next generation. It doesn't get any better than that. Such a picturesque lake.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely pond. The moments when our memories become our kids' too are the best :)

Shel said...

Oh, there is nothing like a good pond and all the memories that come with it! This brought me back to two such ponds in my hometown (of Bethany CT). One we skated on in the winter (and watched the cows drink from in the warmer months) and the other I taught many, many kids swimming lessons in during the summer. Such good memories!

I hope you had a most lovely weekend and that your week is off to a great start! xo