5.16.2008

The "T" Word Will Not Be Spoken Here . . .


I haven't been writing as often as I'd like to. I haven't had much to write about. Every thing has been pretty calm on the homefront. It's starting to be the time of year when you're ready for school to end because you're tired of dealing with all the homework, baseball games, spring concerts, camp registration, physicals for camp registration, blah blah blah. I know you're all nodding your head. : ) We're getting a pool the week after we get back from Turks and Caicos (that's where Jim and I are going on our honeymoon) so this year I won't feel guilty about not wanting to take the boys to the town pool. I'd rather put pins in my eyes then sit at a crowded pool with a bunch of screaming kids in the heat and humidity. The older I get, the less I want to be around crowds. And if I'm dealing with a monthly bout of PMS, forgetaboutit!!!!! I always said that my true test of being a good mother would be the first time my child wants to hang on me on a hot, humid day when I have PMS. Thankfully, all of my boys were independent as babies and toddlers and I don't recall that ever happening. Thankfully, there's medication for PMS, too!!

On a much more serious note, yesterday I was told that there was a message on one of the NYPD sites that discussed the upcoming 10 - 13 gathering for Stephanie. For those of you that don't know what a 10 - 13 is, this refers to a fundraiser that is held for a Member of Service or family member of the MOS that is going thru something that is usually life threatening or tragic or to help out in their time of need. I hope that's a good explanation. I didn't know how else to describe it. I was told that the word "terminal" has become part of the description for this event. I want to set the record straight on this. My sister, AT NO TIME, has been told that she is terminally ill. She is at the beginning of a very long journey and the only person that knows what the outcome is going to be is God. I wish everyone could have seen Stephanie on Mothers' Day. She was happy and laughing and cracking jokes and looked beautiful. All the cousins got to run around our yard and we gave Steph's son, Danny, the ride-on firetruck that Brendan has outgrown. The grin on his face as he drove it around the yard was priceless!! She was unable to have her second round of chemo this week due to her coming down with a very mild case of shingles. This is not uncommon for people who are receiving treatment for cancer. I'm learning a lot about all of this stuff. Thank God for Google!! I guess what I'm trying to say is that we are taking this one day at a time. We know how serious this is. BELIEVE ME, we know how serious this is. But the word "terminal" has not come into the equation and, just for today, we all choose to be positive, have a smile in our heart and hold on to the belief that Steph will get thru this and shine brighter than ever. Please continue to say prayers, light candles for her or whatever else it may be that you've been doing for her. It is helping in more ways then you'll ever know.

Many blessings ~ Wendy

1 comment:

Kim Fernino said...

There is no such thing as the T word.