1.08.2009

A Year for Giving . . .


"The majority of us lead quiet, unheralded lives as we pass through this world. There will most likely be no ticker-tape parades for us, no monuments created in our honor. But that does not lessen our possible impact, for there are scores of people waiting for someone just like us to come along; people who will appreciate our compassion, our unique talents. Someone who will live a happier life merely because we took the time to share what we had to give. Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have a potential to turn a life around. It's overwhelming to consider the continuous opportunities there are to make our love felt."-- Dr. Leo Buscaglia



I took that quote from a friend's email. Now, more than ever, we need to take the time to share whatever it is that we have to give. It doesn't have to mean money or material possessions. Just as the quote says, "the power of touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment or small act of caring" can change a person's life at the precise time that it was needed most. I strongly believe that we were all put on this earth to help each other. A couple of my friends and I have all been feeling this need to reach out to help in our community. A couple of years ago I took a training class to be a hospice volunteer. I completed the class but never committed to the actual hands-on work. I met the man who is now my husband and that new relationship took up a lot of my time. You know how it is when you first fall in love and want to be with that person every minute of every day. Then, my sister was diagnosed with cancer. Too close to home for me. Once again, didn't feel like I was able to commit to hospice work.



So now it's a new year ~ and I feel strong. I am, once again, being pulled in the direction of hospice work. I remind myself that there is nothing to be afraid of. Death is part of life. If I can help someone get thru the transition, whether it be by helping out the family, sitting with someone and holding their hand or just saying a silent prayer, how wonderful is that.



Yes, we are indeed here to help each other out.



Many blessings ~ Wendy

2 comments:

Kathy said...

You are my inspiration. You have so much love and happiness to give. You take every frown and turn it upside down. I love you my friend.

mimi said...

Oh Wendy that is so true. I believe that too. Sometimes I am surprised to the see the reaction of others when I share a simple smile with them. There was one time that I smiled at an elderely man and he approached me and said how the smile had made his day. Just a simple smile!! It sure takes a special person to work in hospice. I am sure you will be a blessing to those you reach out to. Have a blessed day!!!
Mimi~