5.02.2017

Lacrosse at West Point . . .


Megan and her friend Grace.


A couple of Saturdays ago, we packed up Megan's lacrosse gear and our rain gear and headed to West Point for Megan's first official lacrosse game.  If you're not familiar with West Point you can visit here and read all about it.   It's only about a fifteen minute drive from our house thankfully because we had to be there by 8:15 am.  Megan was very nervous that morning and even said she didn't want to go but once she saw her team mates and how excited they all were she was fine.  Honestly, it's just as much about hanging out with your friends as it is about playing lacrosse at that age, isn't it?  : )


The weather forecast said it was supposed to clear up later on in the morning but, unfortunately, it never did.  Is it me or does it seem like predicting the weather has gotten worse instead of better??  : (



The grounds of West Point are beautiful and huge.  I haven't driven around there in many years.  Not since I used to go to the semi-formal dances they held when I was in high school.  A bunch of girlfriends and I would dress up and drive there and mingle with the cadets.  I met some really nice "southern" boys that way.  There's something about a man in a uniform!!  : )  Lots of fun.  I'm not sure if they still have the dances anymore.  They're much more strict now about getting onto the grounds of West Point. 

A covered foot bridge. 

I walked across that bridge on my way back up the hill after the games were over.  This is what the interior of the bridge looks like. 

An old fort with a cannon. 

A few cadets (soldiers in training) on their morning hike.




The sun trying to come out.


After Megan was finished with her games, we walked back up to the parking lot where there were tents set up for a big tailgate party.  Everyone brought something to contribute and it ended up being a really great spread.  Unfortunately, the rain picked up though and we decided we weren't going to stay and watch the West Point girls' lacrosse team play like was originally planned. 

Eating under the tent.

Megan's adorable team and her coaches. 



So now it's time for me to start checking off some of the things on my mile long TO DO list for our trip.  I had my hair colored and cut this morning so that's out of the way.  I honestly can't stand all of the money that you have to spend to go away.  I have to go out and buy travel size toiletries because you're not allowed to have more than 3 ounces of any liquid for safety reasons when you're flying.  You know what else bothers me??  The airlines started charging for your luggage to help make up for the huge increase in the cost of fuel years ago when the price of oil went thru the roof.  The price of oil came down but the extra charges are still in place for lots of different things.  With all of the problems our airlines have been having lately you would think they'd be a little more competitive with each other and offer more freebies again.  I just don't get it.  Okay . . .  rant over!!  : )

I'm looking forward to taking lots of photos in Tennessee and sharing them when we get back.  Have a great week everybody!!  xo

~ Wendy


5 comments:

Sheila said...

That looks like a pretty nice way to spend a morning Wendy.

Can't wait to hear about Tennessee and see the photos.
Have a great trip-x-

mamasmercantile said...

Megan looks adorable in her outfit, looks like a great day out such a shame about the weather. The weather forecasts are not much better here. Have a great trip away, looking forward to hearing all about it. The airlines have cut a lot of corners on the long haul flights too.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

What play-fun, for your little girl!!!!

Yes, I am familiar with West Point. When I was in college, I went with a Cadet, for awhile. Lovely memories. Lovely memories.

But I would never have made it, as an Army Wife.

The "how" of my going to West Point was, I graduated HS, with a boy who went to West Point. His girlfriend went to same college as I did. He arranged weekends, for me, and dome of her friends. :-)

Last time I saw Michael, he told me that "my Cadet" had died. Yikes. Better to have married a pharmacist! Who is still going strong. :-)

Lots of gentle hugs,
Luna Crone

sage and spirit said...

Miss Megan looks so happy! The move to your new town looks like it's been so good for her.

And safe travels to you! Looking forward to the photos of your trip!
xx

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Looks like a great day for you and the girls! I've never watched a Lacrosse game - it looks like it might be really exciting. The girls are adorable in their bright colors, too. Love the scenery and the footbridge at West Point and great memories of going to the dances. Yea, the airlines are out of control........and the abuses with over-booking are terrible. I hope your trip goes smoothly, though, and am looking forward to seeing the photos. xx Karen